July 2009 News Archive

Excellent Europa League performance by Derry City...16/07/2009
League of Ireland club Derry City produced a fine performance in their opening Europa League fixture with a one all draw against Skonto Riga in Latvia this evening. Despite conceding an early goal to their hosts, they retained their composure and scored a merited equaliser on the stroke of half time through Tam McManus.

Disappointment for St Patrick's Athletic in Europe...16/07/2009
St Patrick's Athletic opened their Europa League challenge with a disappointing one all home draw against Maltese side Valletta in Richmond Park this evening. New loan signing Declan O'Brien put the 'Saints' ahead before half time but the visitors equalised on sixty five minutes and will now be favourites to advance to the next stage.

Alan Kelly - Premier Development Referees Group...07/07/2009
Alan Kelly has become the first League of Ireland referee to be promoted to the UEFA Premier Development Referees Group. He has also been appointed by FIFA to officiate at the World Cup Qualifier between Azerbaijan and Germany on 12th August 2009. The Cork native was the special guest of RISSC (London) at our meeting in February 2008 and provided attendees with an excellent presentation which was hugely appreciated by all who were fortunate enough to be in attendance.

Sligo Rovers exit Europa League this evening...09/07/2009
Sligo Rovers were knocked out of the Europa League this evening, when they were held to a one all draw by KS Vllaznia of Albania in the second leg played in Shkoder. Trailing two one from the home leg, 'The Bit o Red' went further behind just before the interval. An Alan Keane goal seven minutes from the end of normal time brought hope but it was not to be and Paul Cook and his team will reflect on what might, perhaps should, have been over this two-legged affair.

Disappointment for Sligo Rovers in Europa League...02/07/2009
Sligo Rovers went down to a disappointing two one home defeat to KS Vllaznia of Albania in the first qualifying round of the Europa League this evening. The home side dominated the first half and should really have gone ahead when Boco's shot hit the crossbar just before the interval. The visitors took the lead on 69 minutes and six minutes later doubled their advantage through an Alan Keane own goal. The drama was not yet ended for Keane as his 81st minute penalty hit the crossbar and was cleared. With two minutes of normal time remaining Sligo were awarded another penalty with the visiting goalkeeper being red carded. Rafael Cretaro made no mistake from the spot to give 'The Bit o Red' just a glimmer of hope for the second leg in Shkoder on Thursday next 9th July.